Παρασκευή 26 Σεπτεμβρίου 2014

Why I like multi-culti salad!




One of the things I enjoy most here in Uppsala is that everyday I have the possibility to meet people from all over the world. I meet them in class, when I go out or I just accidentally. I consider myself lucky as I have the chance to get in contact with people who think totally different than me because I can always learn something from them. Well, this is not always easy. I mean when you don’t speak the same language with a stranger communication can become quite difficult. Then again people express themselves different when they use their mother language because as language is a carrier of culture it contains our whole emotional world and not only! Personally I have observed that it doesn’t feel the same communicating a feeling in greek and in english but I think this is something that happens to everyone.
What I love to do (as long as I can afford it) is inviting friends to have lunch or dinner together. I really like to prepare for them greek salad because I feel I offer them something personal and still characteristic of my country (no need to say I really enjoy the salad myself). I believe this facilitates communication because everybody feels more comfortable to discuss when his/her belly is full! And yes, my theory is confirmed so far. 
                                          
Sometimes I think that if I go back in Greece and live in a small town like my hometown I will definitely miss this enriching experience that fills you when you live in multicultural environments. I must admit this idea frightens me! However I tell myself I will set up a multinational company and this is how the problem will be solved. Of course I don’t mean a company present in many countries but a company consisted of people of different nationalities.  I know it’s difficult to make a modern Babel community work efficiently but this will be a rather rewarding challenge or at least this is what I believe. Obviously I can’t foresee what future hides for me but I find it entertaining making this projection for the years to come.
In any case as Italians say “Chi vivra’, vedra’” (=whoever wil live, will see)!


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου