Κυριακή 24 Ιανουαρίου 2016

Letter to my international friends: What is Greece?




https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ec/a1/26/eca126fd8fd01b9f69bb05ab68ccc162.jpgDear friends,

I often wonder what Greece is for you especially for those of you who have never been there or haven't read anyhting about it. It's true that nowadays Greece appears on the news only when it's about its debt crisis giving frustration to a lot of people around Europe. I sometimes share this frustration but I am not going to talk further about it on this note. Neither will I give you a definition of what Greece is. Instead, I am going to say few words about the image some Greeks give you when you ask them to teach you something about Greece. Let me give you an example.
A couple of months ago I was waiting to get a glass of beer in a bar when I met my German friend, Laura. Laura, in her attempt to surprise me with her knowledge in greek, called me "malaka". I got upset. Not with her but with the Greeks who taught her this.
The meaning of "malaka" is originaly insulting but it is true that some Greeks, especially young, tend to use it in a friendly way with their familiars. However, I never came to understand how one can call his/her friend like this. There is a wide variety of words in greek to call your friend except for "malaka".
My point is that you should be careful in what portion of greek you learn. If there are Greeks who find it nice to feed you with garbage, it doesn't mean that you should consume it. Just tell them, on my behalf, that they are ignorants because they don't know/want to teach something of greek culture which would help you to become a better person.
Greek culture is immense. I copied in german Kavafis' "Ithaca" to give Laura some taste of a piece of Greece that inspires me. Greek culture is immense and awaits for you to discover it. Take your chance! 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου